2023 Youth Leadership Tour
The Government-in-Action Youth Leadership Tour is an all-expense-paid trip for high school juniors to learn about different aspects of the government, meet their members of Congress and visit historical sites.
This year, NEC will send two delegates from the cooperative to participate. This year’s trip will begin in Austin, Texas on Sunday, June 11 and continue on to tour sites in Washington D.C. before the trip concludes on Tuesday, June 20. The travel package, valued at more than $3,600, includes air transportation to and from Washington D.C., hotel stay, meals, admission fees, and $250 cash for extra expenses. PLUS: Each winner will also receive a $1,000 scholarship, should they attend an accredited Texas college or University.
2023 Essay Topic: How can an electric cooperative, like Nueces Electric Cooperative, engage its members to better educate them about electricity issues and their Co-op? (practices & new ideas for annual meeting, website, social media, print media, etc...)
1. Applicant must be a high school student in junior year of high school and must not have already participated in Youth Tour through any Texas Cooperative.
2. Applicant must have consent of and reside in the home with a parent or legal guardian who is a current member of Nueces Electric Cooperative.
3. Applicant must return the completed application and essay along with a recent head and shoulder digital photo by Tuesday, January 31st, 2023. Applications can be submitted online or via mail, email (Communications@nueceselectric.org), or fax (361.933.1178).
4. Essay must be 400-600 words in length, typed and double-spaced. All essays become NEC property.
5. Applications will be scored on accuracy of information, grammar, originality and content. Applicants must be able to interview in-person or via Skype on Thursday, February 9th, 2023, if they are selected as Finalists.
6. From the group of Finalists, the Winners will be selected based on the score from their essay and their interview with a panel of judges where they will be scored based on simple knowledge of the Cooperative, knowledge of government, poise, and communication skills. (Possible interview questions will be provided to Finalists ahead of time.)
7. Each Winner must also be able to attend the June 2023 Board of Directors Meeting as well as the October 2023 Annual Meeting to speak on behalf of Youth Tour to encourage others to apply.
8. A First Runner-Up will be named to take the place of the Winner should they be unable to meet these requirements or is found to be a poor representative of the Cooperative.
How do you apply? Follow these simple steps:
- Download your application here
- Print out the paper application and complete
- Scan in the application to your computer
- Write a 400 - 600 word essay to be included in your online application
- Select a Head Shot that you would like to submit in your online application
- Submit the application document to Communications@nueceselectric.org or at the Youth Tour Leadership Program Application page