Each year, NEC awards scholarships to graduating high school seniors who are dependents of NEC members and meet the eligibility requirements set forth on the application form. Funding for this scholarship program comes from unclaimed NEC capital credits. Unclaimed capital credits for NEC members are sent to the Texas comptroller. NEC applies annually to the comptroller to receive a portion of the funds back to support this scholarship program for students who plan to pursue studies at a Texas institution of higher learning approved by the Office of the Texas Comptroller.
The scholarships to be awarded during this school year are:
Two (2) - $4,000 scholarships. One (1) Ramiro De La Paz Memorial $4,000 scholarship, $500 per semester during the years attending an accredited 4-year university in Texas. One (1) John L. Sims $4,000 scholarships, $500 per semester during the years attending an accredited 4-year university in Texas.
Ten (10) – $1,000 scholarships. $500 per semester during the first year of an accredited 4-year university in Texas.
Two (2) - $2,000 scholarships distributed over the length of the 2-year or vocational college in Texas, $500 per semester.
Two (2) – $5,000 scholarships distributed upon completion of a qualifying Lineman’s College. The Lineworker Scholarship is open to apply year-round.
Deadline for 4-year & 2-year scholarships is Saturday, February 10th, 2024 by 5:00 p.m. Please note this is the date they should be received in-hand, not postmarked. The Lineworker scholarship is open to apply year-round.
- Available to any graduating senior who is also a dependent of an active Nueces Electric Cooperative, Inc. member. The member must have received electric service from NEC for a minimum of six months as of the date the scholarship application is due.
- Scholarship to be granted to attend a recognized Texas instruction of higher education.
- Applicant must be of good character as evidenced by one (1) letter of recommendation from a representative of the high school the applicant is currently attending or from employers/ supervisors.
- Applicant must demonstrate a coherent degree plan and willingness to pursue a course of higher learning.
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of funds available and the applicants’ eligibility, including financial need.
- 4-year and 2-year applications must be received by Saturday, February 10th, 2024 by 5:00 p.m. Awards will be announced within ninety (90) days of this date. Lineworker scholarships are open year-round.
- Recipient must maintain at least a 2.50 cumulative grade point average for the two-year and four-year scholarships and at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average for the lineworker scholarship on a 4.00 scale and carry a minimum of 12 hours or be considered by the registrar of the institution to be a full-time student (e.g. vocational schools). Failure to meet the above requirements will result in the termination of the scholarship.
- Recipient must provide a copy of his/her grades at the end of each school semester to Nueces Electric Cooperative, Inc. Education Fund Committee before funds can be released for the subsequent semester.
- If awarded a scholarship, guardian must remain a member of NEC for the duration of the scholarship period or the student forfeits the remaining scholarship monies.