Youth Leadership Tour 2017
NEC Youth Tour Leadership Program
Each year, NEC sends four exceptional students to The Government-in-Action Youth Leadership Tour. The program offers high schools students an all-expense-paid trip to learn about various aspects of the government, meet their regional members of Congress and visit historical sites. Each winning applicant will receive the travel package, valued at $3,000 and will join more than 100 other high school students for a tour of the Texas State Capital, Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum, the White House, the U.S. House and Senate Chambers, the Supreme Court, Washington National Cathedral, Arlington National Cemetary, Smithsonian Institution and many other national sites.
- Applicant must be a high school student that has just complete their sophomore or junior year of high school by June 2017.
- Applicant must have consent of and reside in the home with a parent or legal guardian who is a current member of Nueces Electric Cooperative.
- Applicant must return the completed application and essay along with a recent head and shoulder digital photo to Madeline Chalk, Corporate Communications Specialist at Nueces Electric Cooperative, by Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
- Essays must be 400-600 words in length, typed and double-spaced on the topic of: "Choose one of the Seven Cooperative Principles and explain how NEC embodies that principle." All essays become NEC property.
- Applications will be scored on accuracy of information, grammar, originality and content. Finalists will be interviewed in order to determine the winners.
- The winners will be selected based on their interview with a panel of judges where they will be scored based on knowledge of the cooperative, knowledge of government, poise, and communication skills. (Possible interview questions will be provided to Finalists ahead of time).
- Each winner must be able to participate in all aspects of the Youth Leadership Tour from June 7 - June 16, must be able to fly in an airplane and ride in a car or bus for up to 12 hours a day (with breaks).
- Each winner must also be able to attend the June 2017 Board of Directors Meeting as well as the October 2017 Annual Meeting to speak on behalf of Youth Tour to encourage others to apply.
- The winner's guardian must sign a waizer of release for the winner to participate on the Youth Tour.
- A first runner-up will be named to take the place of the winner should they be unable to meet these requirements or is found to be a poor representative of the cooperative.
How do you apply? Follow these simple steps:
- Complete the Application
- Write a 400 - 600 word essay
- E-mail, Mail or fax your application and essay to NEC
Printable Application: (Click HERE) Youth Tour Rules and Application
Entry Deadline: January 31, 2017
Trip Dates: June 7 - 16, 2017
Essay Topic: Choose one of the Seven Cooperative Principles and explain how NEC embodies principle."
Visit www.youthtour.coop for more information on the Government-In-Action Youth Tour program!
Below is a video from the 2016 Youth Tour which took place June 10th - June 19th:
Co-op Research Information:
What is a Co-op? (PowerPoint presentation from the US Dept. of Agriculture)
- Co-op Information
- Utility Overview
- Sales Growth
- Residential Customers in Texas
- Co-op Facts
- Consumer Growth
- Consumers Per Mile of Line in Texas
- Residential Electricity Use